News Update – 02.27.2014
Saturday’s bitterly weather forecast is the focus of our final preparations. With your safety and enjoyment in mind, we’ve made a couple of adjustments.
- The tent will have three large heaters
- The finish line and water stop will have warm (not hot) fluids
- We are closely monitoring the course along with the City and County.
- As of today, the roads were clear but narrower due to larger than usual snowbanks
- Friday’s forecast calls for an inch or so of light snow
- Roads will be plowed, if necessary, and salted and sanded accordingly
- Due to the cold temperatures, any icing from Friday’s snow, may not be fully melted
- For your safety and the safety of our volunteers, you will be asked to turn around if you do not reach the corner of Hwy HH and West River Drive (1.8 miles) by 12:30
- The awards ceremony will be held in the tent
What can you do to prepare for the polar vortex-like conditions and to enjoy your run?
- Warm up before the run
- Move around or do a prerun; just enough to get the blood flowing without breaking a sweat.
- Dress accordingly
- The forecast calls for NW winds so you’ll be running into the wind on the way out and hopefully enjoying a tailwind on the way back
- Minimize the amount of exposed skin
- Bring extra layers of clothes for post-race activities
- Be mindful of changing road conditions, especially on turns
- Lower your expectations in terms of speed
- Tee shirts will not be mailed
- Awards will not be mailed
- Boy Scout Troop 299 will be selling hot chocolate and coffee
2014 Point Bock Run News and Information
The race begins promptly at 12 noon.
Instructions and other race-day information will be announced at 11:50.
Please be in the starting area prior to announcements.
In the large tent across the street from the Brewery
5:00 – 7:00 pm, Friday
10:00 – 11:30 am, Saturday
Race Day Information will be emailed to you approximately one week before run.
Ample parking is available a short distance from the Brewery at the Ruth Gilfry Building on Whiting Avenue. Limited parking is available on Henrietta Street behind the Brewery and in the parking lot across the street from the Brewery.
Parking is not allowed on the course.
For your safety and the safety of others we have implemented designated starting areas. The fastest runners will be in front with all other runners behind. Special signs alongside the start area will designate an area for runners faster than 30 minutes (6:00 minute/mile pace), 35 minutes (7:00 minute/mile pace) and 40 minutes (8:00 minute/mile pace).
• The course is an out-and-back style course.
• The course is closed completely to traffic with the exception of Whiting Avenue.
• Please stay on the right-hand side of the road.
• Strollers are allowed but if you run with a stroller, you will be asked to start at the back of the pack.
• Walkers – Please start at the back of the pack and use the sidewalks whenever possible. Do not walk more than two abreast.
• Runners without a 2014 bib number will not be allowed into the starting area. Bandits have been, and will continue to be, barred from participating in future Point Bock Runs without volunteering for at least one year.
Dogs are not allowed on the course or in the tent. We strongly discourage you from bringing your furry friends to the race.
The Point Bock Run utilizes electronic timing technology. A disposable timing chip is attached to your bib number. Your time does not start until you cross the start line. A half-way split will be taken when you cross the mat at the turnaround. With the exception of the overall male and female, all official times will be based on chip time. The overall male and female times will be based on gun time.
Water will be provided on the course at the corner of West River Drive and County Highway HH at approximately 3.25 miles. The water will be available ONLY to runners that are inbound.
Medical assistance will be available at the finish line. Ice packs and band aids will be available in the tent alongside the door prize area. Course volunteers with emergency dispatch radios will be on the course in the event you or another runners needs medical assistance.
Snacks and Beverages
Complimentary Point specialty beers will be served along with Point Premium Root Beer in the tented area adjacent to the Start/Finish line. Water and Gatorade and complimentary snacks for runners will be served at the finish line area. Your bib number has three tear-off beverage coupons. Additional beer or soda tickets may be purchased for $2 at the north end of the tent.
Runners must show servers their bib numbers for proof of age; all others must provide identification if asked.
The Stevens Point Boy Scouts will be offering Root Beer and other food for sale.
Results and Awards
Results will be posted on the Brewery garage doors across the street from the tent as soon as possible after the race.
The award ceremony will begin at approximately 1:45 pm, weather permitting, in front of the garage. In case of inclement weather, the awards ceremony will take place inside the tent.
Results will be posted on the Point Bock Run website shortly after the race’s conclusion.
Door prize numbers will be drawn before packet pickup and available for pickup starting Saturday morning at the booth outside the tent.
Course Records and Overall Winners
Complimentary registrations to the 2015 Point Bock Run will be awarded to the overall male and female winners and anyone setting a new Age Group, Big Bock or Dopplebock course record. Current course records for all age groups can be found on the website.